Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Things I Love About Cambridge

In keeping with SB's post, a list of things I love about Cambridge/Boston:

*I love, love, love the various tea/coffee shops in Harvard Square. I do most of my studying in the mornings in them, and kind of rotate through them on a weekly basis. My top three are Dado Teas, which has really nice herbal teas and bubble tea (among other things) in a store with a TON of windows so you can watch the Square as you work, Tealuxe, which has simply the best tea I've ever had, although they do have a tendency to play loud punk-rockish type music, and Burdicks, which has amazing hot chocolate and other assorted dessert-things.

*Harvard Square/Harvard on the weekends. There's always a ton of people out, even in the middle of winter, and there are usually street performers. 

*If you want to see where you'll be spending a lot of time as a HLS student, try out Cambridge Commons. The beer is excellent, the food is not bad, and it's right near the law school, so lots of us are there a lot of the time. If you're looking for more night-life, the Kong is super popular with  law students (I've never been myself, actually). 

*If you're feeling adventerous enough to leave Harvard Square, there are a bunch of great parks and museums in Boston. My personal favorites are the Isabella Gardner Museum (free to Harvard students), and the Harvard Botanical Gardens. I also love walking down the Charles River - it's free, there's a lot of boats on it, and since it's spring, it's mobbed.



 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you live on campus or off? Also, do you what the situation is for parking?

Chris said...

Wow! Coffee shops? Real life people? A commons area? Street performers!! What an exciting city!! I can see why you love it so much.

::rolls eyes::

Cat said...

Hey Anonymous,
I live off campus. I think it's hard to park nearby the law school. I don't have a car, but I hear that the closest parking is by the business school, which is not close at all. I take the T to commute instead.

Cat said...

Chris,

I'm sorry my suggestions as to what to do in Cambridge don't appeal to you. Really, feel free not to take them, and instead devote your attentions to cities that lack real people, commons areas, coffee shops, and museums.

Anonymous said...

Everyone always talks about how unstressed/relaxed Yale students are... Is that true for HLS students, too (especially taking into account the new grading system)?

Also, what's the best pizza delivery place in Cambridge?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and note that I said DELIVERY--I know Pinocchio's is the most popular place, but they don't deliver (unfortunately).

Cat said...

Hey Anonymous,

I've heard that the 1L class IS a lot more relaxed with the new grading system. I myself haven't found HLS to be the pressure-cooker that it's supposed to be. My favorite place to get take out pizza is The Upper Crust. It's kind of expensive, but good for a treat. There's a store in Harvard Square. http://www.theuppercrustpizzeria.com/

Cat said...

P.S. It's good you like Pinocchio's, since you'll probably be eating a lot of it. They do deliver big orders to the law school, and a lot of groups/professors use it to attract folks to review sessions/presentations/etc.