Monday, April 27, 2009

Attack of the 0Ls

This past Thursday-Saturday was the admitted students program here. By the numbers, I:

* Gave one (1) unofficial tour;
* Staffed the registration desk for three (3) hours, during which time I had only one (1) person previously known to me unexpectedly show up in front of me;
* Gave directions to The Table at least eight (8) times;
* Ate five (5) free meals - highlights included two (2) bottles of Raspberry Ice Tea Snapple and one half (1/2) of a delicious chocolate-covered Rice Krispie treat - in the span of about thirty (30) hours;
* Accidentally directed people to go to room 128 instead of room 127 at least five (5) times before realizing my mistake;
* Currently have seven (7) HUGE Gladware containers of leftover food in my fridge because the wonderful guys at the takeout place WAY misoverestimated how much food twenty (2o) people would eat;
* Met, by my best guess, at least one third (1/3) of the class of 2012.

After all that excitement...the most telling number of the rest of my weekend: 7 (the approximate number of hours slept over the past two nights, combined).

***

8 comments:

Zach said...

I didn't meet you, but I was among the hordes this weekend. I had a very good time and am looking forward to coming to yls this fall. A question/dream, though--is the food at Happy Hour always that awesome, or was it special for the ASW?

SB said...

Hi Zach,

Good question! Happy Hour food varies somewhat from week to week, but what they served is certainly within the normal range of offerings. There's almost always a mix of hot and cold appetizers, soups, veggies, sushi, cheese & crackers, and soda/beer/wine.

Hope you had a good time!

franfair said...

It was a great admitted students' weekend! I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you, but I had a great time and look forward to meeting you in the fall!

SB said...

Fran, I'm glad you had such a great time - looking forward to meeting you in the fall!

Zach said...

Thanks SB for your response. Another question--do you have loans? If so, did you use the Access Group of the Connecticut Higher Ed Student Loan Authority or what? I'm trying to figure out what to do, and the CHESLA ones have a better rate, but Patricia Bernes said most people use Access Group. I have no clue why. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

SB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zach said...

SB, the CHESLA website says "Interest only payable while student is in school and for a 6-month grace period after student leaves school (up to a five-year maximum)" BUT "Graduate and professional students may defer interest while in school and for a 6-month grace period (interest is capitalized annually)"
Access Group says " Deferred while you are enrolled at least half time
Postpone repayment for up to 6 months after you leave school by requesting a forbearance"
But access group is still charging interest during that time too, right? It sounds to me as if you don't have to pay either while you're in school, but maybe i'm missing something...
Thanks for your help!
Zach

SB said...

Zach - you're right! I stand corrected. :)