Thursday, January 7, 2010

Winter Term!

It's winter term at HLS, and that means we are [shockingly] having lots of fun. Most people do something exciting over winter term, like take a class in an unusual and interesting area of the law, or work on a paper they are passionate about. I have a friend who is in another city, working on a cool internship for the month. The classes are intensive - about 3-4 hours a day, 5 days a week - but compared the schedule of a typical HLS student, that's not too much out of the ordinary. Plus, some how it's easier to just concentrate on one subject intensively rather than juggling several at the same time. So, we're catching up on seeing friends, watching TV shows, and (in my case) reading lots and lots of mystery novels. I suddenly realized that I hadn't read much John Grisham before law school, and decided I had to rectify that problem immediately.

In the spirit of having fun, here are some suggestions for some cheap-ish things to do in Cambridge this winter. I would say be sure to go out well-wrapped up, but it actually hasn't gotten super cold here.

1. Awesomely, MIT has a lindy hop dance session every Wednesday night.

2. The Harvard Natural History museum is free to Harvard students, and has these amazingly realistic glass flowers.

3. The Boston Celtic Music Festival is happening this weekend!

4 . The List Art Museum at MIT is super impressive, although it's unfortunately closed until February.

5. Burdick's hot chocolate is delicious, and not that expensive as a treat.

6. I love the Harvard Bookstore. It has a great used book section, and they often have interesting authors come speak.

5 comments:

SB said...

Two things:
1. John Grisham is speaking (and screening a movie!) at YLS in April, if you want to come. :)

2. All of those things look like fun. Very encouraging of a Boston/Cambridge visit. Especially Burdick's. Yummm.

Cat said...

Oh.My.God. Obviously I do. When is he speaking?

We went to the opening of the Celtic Music Festival last night, and it was AWESOME.

just jenn said...

at first i was completely confused why a pro basketball team had a music festival. whoops. thanks for clearing those cobwebs from my brain. :)

Anonymous said...

Grisham= Great Author. I spent my time creating a blog, just like yours, but from New York. Check it out- dormrmtocourtrm.wordpress.com

Cat said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Dormtothecourtroom! Looks like a great blog. Just Jenn, I suppose a music festival by the Celtics would have its own special something.