Monday, January 4, 2010

Ours are Not the Only Wacky Law Schools

Not exactly in response to one of my earlier posts but somewhat on point, a professor at Suffolk thinks that us professional school students aren't getting enough schooling in the traditional ways of the law:

It would be a step in the right direction (but only a small one) if law schools were to revive and require the discrete Agency course and relegate to the extra curricular “subjects” such as these: Climate Change Justice (taught at Harvard), Social Justice Lawyering (University of North Carolina), Law and Literature: Murder (University of North Carolina), Social Disparities in Health (Colorado), Wal-Mart (Colorado), Law & Literature: Race and Gender (Duke), Sexual Orientation and the Law (Duke), Ethics in Literature (Yale), Civil Disobedience (Suffolk), and Critical Race Theory (Suffolk).

It's an interesting article, on the whole, about the "de-professionalization of the American law school." I'm not sure I'd want to attend the author's proposed " bare-bones, back-to-basics for-profit law school," though...nothing billed as "boot-camp-like" is an automatically good thing in my book.

2 comments:

Soleil said...

Hm. His law school sounds good to me. I'm not interested in paying for those fluffy courses just to fill out my curriculum.

SB said...

I think we're ultimately in agreement, Soleil. :)

I don't want to go to an all-fluff law school. I *do* think that some "fluff" is good, to provide balance and to give a space for unique perspectives to break into established areas of scholarship. But like you, I want my money's worth of black letter classes, too!