Sunday, February 21, 2010

Clerkships Post Two

Cat, I'm glad you posted about the beginning of the clerkship process. We here have also just begun the official onslaught of clerkship info sessions, etc.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned, the beginning of this season seems to have created more questions than answers. Just how many judges have already hired some (or all) of their clerks for the terms for which we'd normally be applying? How many applications do we really need to submit to be reasonably assured of some success? And for people like me, is this even something I want to do? It seems like applying for clerkships isn't really something you can do sort of half-halfheartedly...so while some of my friends and classmates yearn to join The Elect and are already figuring out all the "on-plan vs. off-plan" and other obscure details of the feeder judges they plan to apply to, I can't even say whether or not I want to/need to pay attention.

Here's the long and short of my current thought process:
Unlike Cat, I don't have a real (personal or professional) reason to take a one-year stopover in clerkship world on the way to another, more permanent job. On the other hand, I'm not sure that what that 'other' job is going to be yet. And clerking seems like a good learning experience regardless of what you end up doing. But I had kind of planned to move to a specific city in the relatively short term after graduation (meaning, I think I'd like to end up there in the next 2 or 3 or 5 or 10 years), and it's VERY unlikely I'd be able to get a good clerkship there. But a clerkship for only a year - in some other random city - wouldn't be the end of the world, and I'm generally very flexible and comfortable in nearly every city I've ever been. And on and on and on, the list of maybe-yes-maybe-no factors continues.

So anyway, for the short term, I'm going to keep going to these information sessions and talking to current clerks to try to figure out whether or not I should think seriously about clerking. It would be nice if we didn't have to think about this and make a decision until after this summer: if it turns out I like my firm just fine (and, of course, they like me enough to hire me full-time), then maybe this could be a less-relevant decision. But deadlines in law school - where they exist at all - seem to be terribly unfriendly, and the timing of this process (where we basically have to decide whether we want to clerk this spring) is in no way ideal.

In any case, I'll keep you posted along the way.

No comments: