Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Blue Book Revolution

Both SB and I are relatively involved with our respective journals, and we were commiserating today about Blue-Booking. (If we have any non-law students reading this, I am sorry, but this post will probably be totally incomprehensible). Likely because we had spent so many hours Blue-Booking, we decided to come up with slogans for a revolution in which the Blue-Book would be eliminated. Here is the G-Chat text of that conversation:

SB: I'm sure there is some catchy "red blood of the bluebook runs through the cities!" rallying cry we could come up with
Cat: I'd go more for: Down With Blue Book Tyranny! Up With Flexible Application of the Chicago Manual of Style!
SB: haha - that's cool, too!I'm kind of an anarchist: "Anything that lets me find your source is cool with me!"

Obviously, we are not actually advocating either violence or eliminating the Blue Book. But sometimes, it does seem like too much attention is paid to Blue Booking in student journals - after all, does it really matter if you ensure the period after Id. is not italicized?

4 comments:

Zach said...

uh, is it a bad sign that my first thought after reading that was, wait, shouldn't she be ensuring that the period after id IS italicized?
--1L, who really needs to go to sleep because a large group of masochists, hopefully including me if I wake up in time, is meeting to do a practice bluebook exam at 8:15am

Cat said...

Hmmm . . . I think the period after Id. isn't italicized, but now you've thrown me into doubt. I can say with certainty that in "See, generally," the first comma is italicized and the second isn't. Good luck with your studying!

Anonymous said...

Zach is right. Period after Id. is italicized. Pg. 64 in the Eighteenth edition:)

- Also a 1L, also hating life right now.

SB said...

Cat: I *totally* thought about posting that conversation, too - haha!

Zach/other 1Ls: Good luck with the final test prep. I'll go ahead and let you handle all our bluebooking from now on. :)