Thursday, March 5, 2009

Germ Overload

Ugh. The past few days have been horrible. Somehow (I might blame a loooong night out on Saturday, but that might be just a tad unfair) I ended up really sick - I literally have about 5-15% of my voice at any given moment. I have a terrible cough. My throat hurts. My head hurts. I'm tired all the time.

Mom and grandma say: "Go to the doctor!"
I say: "I don't have TIME to go to the doctor!"

Like in college, of course it's okay to miss class every so often - I skipped class (and one in particular) a LOT in fall semester; now, though, since I have three uber-small (under 15 people) classes, I feel pretty bad about missing class - even for a totally legit reason. And, I already took a few days off for job interviews, etc. So I was hoping to get to the magicalness that is spring break without any more interruptions. Bah.

So, I've been dragging myself to class, meetings, and appointments the past couple days, despite being in an obvious state of malhealth. Part of the bad thing about being at a small school is that students have to (or get guilted to) take on responsibility in student groups really early: today I had a client meeting I couldn't reschedule for clinic (thank goodness my 3L partner could take the lead!), and I still had to tend to journal and extracurricular obligations. Not to mention my part-time job.

I had promised myself that I'd be careful & not get overcommitted like I did in undergrad, but it's just SO HARD to say no sometimes, especially to things that sound really fun! So this week, my non-class tasks got prioritized above reading for class (I figured if I have no voice, I can't really be asked to participate in discussion - right?!?). And I'm sleeping a lot. And hopefully I'll be fully recovered in time to enjoy my warm-weather getaway come next weekend.

***

2 comments:

Cat said...

Poor SB! Feel better! Drink some ginger tea..... :)

SB said...

Thanks, Cat! I'm actually feeling much better today - and after a visit to Yale's student health centre, I'm 95% sure I'm not going to die. :)