Thursday, March 19, 2009

Give Me A Break!

A spring break, I should say! (Sorry for the lame attempts at humor.) By noon tomorrow, I'm going to be on vacation, and I couldn't be more excited. In the past month I have accepted a summer internship after applying and being rejected from many many many places, completed 1/2 of my second semester of law school, recovered from a nasty battle with the flu and read about 459028746 pages of various law books. Obviously, I need a looonngg and very relaxing vacation. Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to get it. Instead, I'm embarking on a visit-the-frozen-north-while-everyone-more-sensible-goes-south kind of trip. Yes, while my brilliant classmates are heading off to Mexico and Florida, I'm going to Maine. Where the snow has not yet melted. SB, don't think I can't hear you laughing from your beach in the Bahamas right now. Still, I'm excited to spend some time with my feet propped up in front of the fireplace, do some yard work in repayment for a free place to stay, and most importantly, reconnect with my boyfriend. Poor guy - despite the fact that I live with him, we see each other...well, I'm embarassed to admit how infrequently.

And that brings me to part two of this post - how law school will destroy your romantic relationships if you're not careful. No, I'm not being hyperbolic. In law school, you're stressed, you're busy, your mind is filled with law, and everything else just falls by the wayside. If you're like me, most evenings your partner will come home to find you fallen asleep on the couch with your torts book as a pillow. You are barely able to carry on a conversation, let alone a conversation that doesn't involve the words "per se" or "indica" or "holding." My suggestions for making sure your significant other doesn't leave you by fall break of your 1L year? I have three...
1. Make time. I know, this one seems obvious, but it's super hard to have perspective in any given week. But, you'll be a much much happier person if you actually see the person you're dating once in while, so if you have to sacrifice the contracts reading, go ahead and do so. However, there is an exception to (1), which is....
2. Do not be in the same place over exam period. You will either use your SO as a distraction or drive them insane with your complaining. Probably both. Plus, this way (hopefully) you eliminate the problem over having someone annoyingly snoring in bed next to you the night before a huge exam.
3. Find a non-law school activity to do together. Plus some non-law school friends. This probably will not work if you are both law students, but if so....let's face it...you're both likely too busy to find someone else to date. We watch a lot of T.V., which is, granted, probably the worst of all options, but at least we spend some time in each others' company this way.

If you're on break yourself, happy vacation!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cat,

My girlfriend and I may be doing a long distance relationship next year. How feasible would it be to travel from HLS to NYC?

Maggie W. said...

"Holding" isn't such a bad thing to have in a conversation with your SO. :-P

Cat said...

Polynominal - hahahahahahaha!

Anonymous - You're talking to a person who spent four years (with the current boyfriend)in various permutations of long distance relationships, ranging from a year where we were a ten hour flight apart to two years where we were about as far away as you and your girlfriend might be next year - so I would say it's feasible from a relationship standpoint, although obviously it's not ideal. If you just meant purely logistical feasibility, there are (as you probably know) really cheap buses that run between Boston and Chinatown. Bolt Bus is great. I also know someone who ride shares to get between New Haven and Boston every week - maybe you could find something similar for Boston-NYC.