Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Picking Classes: Help Requested

I have a (relatively short) paper due at 4pm tomorrow/today. Instead of doing the pre-reading necessary to write the paper, I am procrastinating. By picking possible classes for next semester.

Some of my "maybe" list, generally listed in order from "most black letter law-like" to "this is not actually a law school class, right?":

* Criminal Law (the one class I still have to take)
* Evidence
* Trademarks & Unfair Competition
* Trial Practice
* Business Organizations
* Family Law
* Elements of Effective Legal Writing
* The Book of Job & Injustice
* Ethics in Literature
* Economics of Education (this is actually not a class offered at the Law School, but in the Economics department...still, I can get Law School credit for it anyway)

I have to pick two of these, basically, to fill my spring schedule. Any suggestions? Course descriptions available here.

**

6 comments:

bloggeradel said...

Well, the obvious courses seem to be Criminal Law and Trial Practice... good luck!

Cat said...

The Book of Job and Injustice? Really? That's what they teach these days at YLS? Joking . . . (A) I know you outrank us and (B) I think we've got a class on Evil next semester.

Maggie W. said...

Hey, if you take evidence this spring and crim in the fall you can have not one but TWO more semesters of DMK's smiling/fuming face. Who could resist? Also, people who take family law say it's a great subject to learn. Finally, I liked SLC for contracts, but I've heard mixed reviews of ethics in literature, so trademarks might be good.

SB said...

Thanks for all the insight!

I think I'll shop a few of these during the first week of classes in late January. I'd love to take Family Law, but it causes a (maybe workable?) scheduling conflict.

I also don't feel like I know much about the actual practice of law (or legal writing)...so the more practical classes - Trial Practice and Effective Legal Writing - are both major contenders.

Cat, I'm not sure I'm abstract enough for Book of Job & Injustice...but it does play nicely off this semester's offering, "Justice." :) Are you going to take Evil???

SB said...

Oh, and Cat - if you think Book of Job is a bit...strange...then you'll love "Capitalism Film Society" as a course: http://ylsinfo.law.yale.edu/wsw/prereg/CourseDetails.asp?cClschedid=107578

Anonymous said...

I would vote Evidence. But I know nothing about your school. I just know our school made it mandatory because, without it, people were failing the Bar. Crunch Time for Evidence was also SPECTACULAR - which also leads me to believe that it's a fabulous inclusion. :)