Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Learning to Read Again

In keeping with SB's studious theme (a theme I could adopt right now) I thought I'd write a little bit about reading. Reading in law school is definitely not like reading in college. There is a lot less of it, but it's super dense, and you have to understand pretty much all of it in case you get cold-called. This is difficult, because reading case books is boring. Boring in the kind of way where you sit down to read in the library and wake up two hours later still on the first page. To try to combat this problem I:
(a) fortify myself with a bag of M&Ms or animal crackers
(b) skim the reading once to get a sense of where it's going
(c) read it in depth, taking notes in the margins (this is more to keep myself awake than anything else), and
(d) quickly brief the fact pattern, the legal question, and the holding/rationale (what I brief varies from class to class).

Of course, this is not possible on days when I'm desperately trying to catch up on two days worth of reading during the lunch break. Then, I generally opt for just trying to remember the party names. SB, what's your strategy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Diet coke, pls?