Tuesday, September 1, 2009

OCI in Cambridge

We've just finished our own OCI (On Campus Interviewing). I, like most of my classmates, interviewed with about 25 firms in 5 days. In addition to wearing very uncomfortable shoes and a suit that doesn't fit, I spent my time during it saying fairly stupid things. For example, on a day in which I had eight interviews, I interviewed with Firm A from 10-10.20 and Firm B from 10.40-11. During the Firm A interview, I said "I see your firm has worked on X litigation - that's very impressive." As those words were leaving my mouth, I recalled that I actually intended to make that comment to Firm B. Luckily, litigation X was ginormous. Ginormous enough, in fact, that the interviewer from Firm A said "Oh, yes. That was a very important milestone for us."

Anyway, it's all over (thank goodness) although our flyout week is approaching shortly. You can tell where people interviewed by how depressed they look on campus. Interviewing in NYC = relatively cheerful, interviewing in DC = very unhappy, interviewing in California = mentally picturing self as homeless hobo with HLS diploma sticking out of back pocket (I exaggerate, but not that much). I'm sure that almost everyone who wants one will end up with a firm job, but there is a fair amount of panic going around. Still, I think most folks feel the situation is better than what we were expecting (i.e., DOOM). Better yet, classes start tomorrow, so soon we'll have other things to expand our mental energy upon!

No comments: