Wednesday, October 14, 2009

An Ode to Clinicals

HLS offers some amazing clinicals. You can work in local Boston legal aid offices, for foreign war crimes prosecution tribunals, for a professor about to argue before the Supreme Court, for the child protection unit of the D.A.'s office . . . the list goes on and on. If pressed, I would say that clinicals are my favorite part about 2L year (although it's pretty hard to pick). Keeping in line with SB, here's a list about them. Specifically, a list of the benefits. I can think of no downsides, unless you're just not interested in doing a clinical. Which, to be honest, may be a bit crazy.

1. 2-3 credits. No exam. No reading. No notes. Need I say more?

2. The opportunity to work somewhere totally awesome.

3. The opportunity to work somewhere that you want to work after graduation.

4. This may be clear from 1., but honestly, I find it to be a giant relief to spent part of my week actually working. I love law school, but at the ending of the day, most of it is just busy work to prove you're smart enough to get job X.

5. There is usually an attached class to clinical. The class will (probably) be a lot of fun, as you spend time reading and talking about the things you're doing.

I could go on, but . . . I've just realized I've got to hop in the shower and head off to *my* clinical today. Happy Wednesday!

No comments: